Have you heard about the concerts on the beach here in Cayucos?! We have two more shows left, and if you haven’t been to one yet, you’re truly missing out! It is family fun with food, drinks, and of course music. This year we have had incredible talents such as Matt Costa and One Drop Redemption, and coming up in October, we will be having the likes of The Brothers Comatose and The Show Ponies.
If you love good music, good food, Indian Summers and offshore winds, the Central Coast is the place to be!
If you haven’t heard by now… our fourth grandchild is here! Boldly blazing her own trail already… Henley Sunday was born July 20, weighing 6 pounds 2 ounces, 20 inches long. Rusty, Renée and Rooney are settling in wonderfully as a family of four. She is adorable and we are already spoiling her rotten!
Henley Sunday Roquet
Roquet, party of four!
Henley’s first time meeting Party
She’s her daddy’s mini-me!
This little piggy…
Welcome to the world, little angel
The Annual Cayucos Antique Street Fair was this weekend! So many goodies and treasures to be ogled and bought. Even our friends at Happy Go Smile got in on the action!
Bet you didn’t know you needed these…
Our friends, Happy Go Smile!
Tabletop and candle stick holders
Beautiful stained glass
Here’s one from Tip Hero we made last night! Easy and delicious. Enjoy!
SALSA CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
– 1 cup uncooked basmati rice, rinsed
– 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
– 1-15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
– 1-16-ounce jar salsa
– 1 cup chicken broth
– 1-½ teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
– 1 teaspoon oregano
– ½ teaspoon salt
– ¼ teaspoon black pepper
– 2 large chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 pounds), thawed
– 1 cup shredded cheese blend
– 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish, add the rice, black beans, corn, salsa, chicken broth, chili powder and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 3 pieces and submerge into the liquid in the baking dish as far as possible.
- Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cheese. Return to the oven and bake just until the cheese has melted.
- Top with green onions and serve.
My daughter-in-law and I are always swapping recipes and I thought I’d share a recipe she shared with me. This is a great, fresh side dish that would compliment anything on the BBQ. Hope you enjoy!
Garlic Kale and Brown Rice Salad w/ Lemon Dressing
Adapted from: Pinch of Yum
For the Dressing:
- juice of one lemon
- juice of one orange
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
For the Salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (garlic infused is yummy)
- 1 bunch kale (chopped, without stems, to yield about 4 cups
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- dried cranberries for topping
- Pulse all the dressing ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the kale and sauté until wilted to about half of the original volume. Add the brown rice and stir-fry for a few minutes together with the kale until everything is heated through. Add the dressing into the pan (start with about half of it) and toss to combine. Top with dried cranberries.
NOTE: This is delicious with a fried egg on top (leave off the cranberries unless you like eggs + cranberries). The perfect easy dinner!
This January we were blessed with a few rain showers and my garden is just bursting with color and new blooms! It’s another spring weather winter, as the rest of the month is shaping up to be in the 70’s all week.
El Nino has come and gone, folks! Take a peek and what’s been popping up in our award winning garden…
2015 Beautification award from the Cayucos Garden Club
Rosemary in bloom
Flowers in bed
I just adore fall colors. Anytime. Anywhere.
These daisies are opening up in the most beautiful way! Good morning ladies!
Succulents. Have you EVER seen such beautiful succulents?
Birdhouse made by a dear customer
Golden Hour + this guy… love love love
Oh that red, white and blue!
Can you smell this Jasmine from where you are?!
Rick and I had such a wonderful time visiting our brand new grandson, Ryan Jett, in Sacramento this week! Rocky, Ali, Reese and Ryan are all settling nicely and Reese just adores her baby brother! So sweet to see the two of them together. We just couldn’t get enough cuddle time with this little guy!
Rick “Papa”, Reese, Rebecca “Party”, and Ryan
Papa telling Ryan all about our team, the USC Trojans
Reese already playing dress-up with her baby brother!
Kisses from Big Sister
Sweet dreams of milk and Trojans
Lost in this babys eyes…
Party and Ryan
We are so happy to announce new baby boy Ryan Jett Roquet arrived this past Friday, January 15! Weighing 9 lb. 11 oz., and 21.5 inches long! Both Ali and Ryan are doing well and already settled in at home. Two-year-old big sister Reese, affectionately calls him “Santa!” We are over the moon about his arrival and looking forward to a quick visit up north to meet him this week.
Ali, Rocky, Reese and Ryan
Ryan Jett Roquet
Big sister Reese with baby brother Ryan Jett
Ladies and gentlemen, we are so pleased to announce that Seaside Motel is in Trip Advisor’s Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame! We are so delighted and honored to be a unique part of this unique accolade, granted only to those businesses that have won the Certificate of Excellence for five years in a row. We would like to express our deepest gratitude to those of you that have written such lovely reviews. They truly keep us Cayucos’ number one motel!
Lots of new things going on here at the Seaside! This month we had some brand new beds delivered! We know how a good night’s rest is so important on your vacation and we’re excited for you to try them out. Feel free to ask us for details next time you book!
Beautiful new bedspreads are in place for many of our rooms, a new BBQ grill is on the back patio and we’ve done so much work in the garden! Lots of pruning, planting, clipping… our spring garden has so many new flowers in bloom, we can’t wait to see what summer brings.
The Central Coast has so much to offer this summer, have you read the wonderful article in The New York Times? 36 Hours in San Luis Obispo, California (and surrounding areas). A beautiful short film and insightful read!
Many thanks again to you, our loyal guests. We are delighted that you take the time to share our Seaside Motel and the wonderful memories you create here!